Friday, September 02, 2005

Labor Day Weekend

I looked up "Labor Day" on the internet, and this is what I found on this website:

The History of Labor Day

Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means

"Labor Day differs in every essential way from the other holidays of the year in any country," said Samuel Gompers, founder and longtime president of the American Federation of Labor. "All other holidays are in a more or less degree connected with conflicts and battles of man's prowess over man, of strife and discord for greed and power, of glories achieved by one nation over another. Labor Day...is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race, or nation."

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Happy Labor Day Weekend, people! You've earned it!!!

As for me, this week completely kicked my butt in so many ways. I'm so ready for this weekend. Cristina is gracing Florida with her Chicago-an self. Can't wait to hang out with her again. :) I'll be sure to post pictures.

In the mean time, hope the gas prices don't keep you from livin' it up this weekend!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:41 AM , Blogger Todd said...

That was really interesting, actually. Rock on Val for doing that extra research on a three-day weekend. I know personlly I've shut my brain OFF for the weekend.

I hear you about those gas prices too. Maybe now it a good time for President George and Governor Jeb to suspend the gas tax (a la GA), but that probably won't happen.

Have fun with Christina and I'll hold you to that promise of pictures!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home