Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sunday - Ticket!!!

Sunday was a busy day.

My sister, brother-in-law and his parents came in sometime Saturday night, so Sunday was the first day we had together. Eli and I woke up promptly at around 5am (gotta love that time difference) breakfasted...then we were off to explore the island.

On our first trip out following my sister's car, we had to do several U-turns and backtracking, being the tourists that we were...and lo and behold, as Eli was trying to keep up with our leader car, we saw pretty red and blue lights flashing behind us and heard the siren. Yup! Eli's first Hawaiian traffic ticket. He got cited for failure to Yield.

(we had to tell the Filipino joke about the man and the yield sign a couple times after that...you know the one about how he got pulled over for not yielding, and he told the cop, "but op-icer, I yieeld and I yieeld, but no one answered!!!!!)

I would've taken a picture of this event, but I figured it wouldn't help the situation since the officer didn't seem to sympathize with our caravanning explanation.

Anyways, after that we found ourselves at Spouting Horn.


Note how close Eli was to the Spouting Horn. He got much closer to the hole (which the book advised strongly against) and between the hole and the ocean for a better look at...something (which the book pretty much forbade), but I didn't get any of those pictures since due to my horror, I was turning a blind eye along with my sister and heading for the cute trinket booths close by.

After that little sightseeing trip, we headed off to Waimea Canyon. It's the grand canyon of the Pacific, and it was beautiful, but quite the drive up and down. We stopped off at a couple lookout sites. Here are some pictures.







Oh, by the way, when I say “the book,” I am referring to the blasted book "The Ultimate Kauai Guide book" EVERY TOURIST uses. It offered a lot of good local places, advice on what to see and what not to waste your time on, and it was written in a very humorous and easy to read way. The book was great, but sometimes too good...it was like putting a kid in a candy store for Eli... let me tell ya...we had some words about the purpose of a vacation...but enough about us.

Anyways, the book told everyone to hike out to the Pu'u o Kila Lookout that is absolutely gorgeous . Here’s a pic:




Oh, you Filipinos will appreciate this little tidbit...my sister cracked me up!!! She was in Hawaii, but she didn't want to overly tan herself, so here's a picture of one of her methods of accomplishing this:



Yes, that's my sister, who I'm sure you can't possibly recognize...well...maybe by her teeth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home